Blog

Holiday Foods That Aren’t Safe for Pets

If you’re going to be hosting holiday parties this year, it’s important to keep your pet’s safety in mind. Plenty of common holiday foods aren’t good for our animal companions! Your Cameron Park, CA veterinarian tells you more below.

Garlic, Onions, Chives

Garlic, onions, chives, shallots, and leeks are all part of the allium family of foods, and they are toxic to pets. Garlic, in particular, has the highest concentration of toxic material and is considered very dangerous for animals. Keep your pet far away from these sorts of foods and all foods made with onions, such as salads, stews, pasta dishes, and others.

Grapes and Raisins

Did you know that grapes and their dried counterparts are dangerous pet toxins? It’s not known exactly why grapes and raisins are poisonous, and some animals seem to be able to ingest them without incident. That doesn’t mean you should take a chance! Grapes and raisins have been known to induce depression, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and other serious health symptoms in both dogs and cats. Dogs are the most commonly diagnosed pet, but this may be thanks to dogs’ tendencies to gobble up whatever might be available.

Chocolate and Candy

You’re probably already aware that chocolate is a big no-no for our four-legged companions. Chocolate of all types—milk, white, semi-sweet, dark, even baking chocolate—contains caffeine and theobromine, chemicals that can harm pets. Don’t allow your pet to gain access to any chocolate treats or foods that contain chocolate.

Candies and certain varieties of gum are sweetened with xylitol, a sugar substitute with toxic properties for animals. Xylitol can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and worse if a pet ingests too much and doesn’t receive prompt treatment. Avoid the risk entirely—have your pet steer clear of any and all candies and gums that you’ve set out for your party guests.

Alcoholic Beverages

Never allow your pet to get their paws on any sort of alcoholic drink, and never give them alcohol on purpose. It turns out that pets respond to alcohol just like humans do. The difference is, it only takes a small amount to result in poisoning. During your holiday gathering, keep a close eye on all drinks and even foods made with alcohol.

From all of us here at your local Cameron Park, CA animal hospital: Happy Holidays! Call us today if your pet needs professional veterinary care.

Facebook

Twitter